Tuesday 17 May 2011

Queen: stop this nonsense!*

Having been "caught" taking loads of notes at Annie Mauger’s talk at the UL yesterday evening, here I am, with my thoughts and observations. First of all, I must thank Annie Johnson for writing a very well structured blog post, that gives a perfect summary of the concepts touched by the CILIP CEO in her talk: if you don’t know what I’m talking about, please read that post first and then come back.
I have been a member of CILIP for less than a year, and my involvement started to take shape when I got to know other Cambridge librarians who were actively involved with the East of England Branch and the CDG Group. As it often happens with me, I found myself at a branch committee meeting in March, and by the end of that same day I also found myself volunteering for the position of Vice-Chair – yes, people like me sometimes do take scary plunges just because we feel it’s right and it will bring something positive to our lives. Carefully thought decisions? Weighing all aspects of a choice? Balancing all pros and cons? Oh, come on.
I was really looking forward to Annie Mauger’s talk – and I will be honest with you: I was hoping to understand something more about the structure of this fairly complicated professional body. Coming from a Country that basks in complexity, I naturally dislike complicated structures that block people’s initiative and frustrate whoever tries to make a change.
It therefore was a real pleasure to see this amazing lady clearly trying to shake the organisation, and at the same time struggling with cuts, pressures from all over the Country for more advocacy, stronger actions, and for a magic wand which would solve all librarians’ problems at once (I agree that would be nice but, although Harry Potter does look like a stereotyped  librarian with those glasses on, I don’t think he will ever step in to help us – we’ve got to do it ourselves!).
I believe in the power of the human being, and therefore what struck me yesterday was the human focus of what Annie said. A few data and numbers, and loads of enthusiasm and warmth – you could really feel there was passion in what she was saying. Some quotes and examples:

  • CILIP  should give a “sense of home” to all info pros, even if they don’t see themselves as librarians and their job doesn’t look like the one of the librarian.
  • CILIP money is the members’ money. We need to feel accountable. If people pay, they must feel they are getting something back – this is the key to a better offer and also to a better relationship with members.
  • We all share the same basic set of values: our aim is to get the right stuff to the right people, to help them with their life.
  • It’s important to talk to everyone, from the Women’s Institute to the new government; to whoever is in charge, to whoever can do something for libraries. The key is to develop relationships.
  • CILIP must be based on grown-up professional relationships. Groups need to talk and collaborate.
  • Branches might be called the Regional Members’ Network. If somebody moves to start a job somewhere else in the UK, they must be able to knock on the door of the regional network and find the same “homey” feeling.
  • The aim of CILIP and its future changes is to make members feel part of something; to give them a sense of belonging to a strong and powerful organisation.

Have you noticed the abundance of words like “home”, “feel”, “relationship”, “share”, “help”, “life”, “talk” “belong”? Annie Mauger was speaking my language yesterday evening: now I really look forward to getting more involved with CILIP in the years to come.


* “Queen: stop this nonsense!” is how Annie described the fact that all the structural changes she is hoping to implement in CILIP must get Royal approval, as the Council is set up under the Royal Charter.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this lively and encouraging summary! Now I don't feel so deprived about having to miss the meeting. Sheila Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila, I'm glad you liked it! Sorry for taking a while to reply but I have just found out about comments (oops!) - still on the blogging learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MG - such a great post. Am sad to have missed Annie's talk - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I was really inspired after the talk, I'd say go and hear her speak if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete