Tuesday 12 July 2011

Cam23 Things 5 and 6: Screenshots and -casting

I'm late again, still talking about screenshots and screencasting, but hopefully with a new tool to share with you, as I haven't found it mentioned in any of your posts. I've never been a great fan of the Print Screen button, and for some reason Microsoft Paint has never been my favourite image-manipulation option; if I have understood it correctly, LightShot is available only for Firefox and Chrome, which I haven't got, so what am I going to do? I'm going to share with you the amazing power of the Windows 7 Snipping Tool, plus Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Excited? Wait and see...


Given that the challenge was to produce a video, I have tried Screencast-o-matic and produced the video below. BEFORE watching, please bear in mind the following:
  • It is the first draft. I know the screen area is badly arranged, I know how to do it better, next time I'll do it better, please trust me on this.
  • I recorded it after work but in my office, i.e. with the department's director walking around the library at unpredictable times: this is why I'm whispering and you will need to set the volume quite high. This will make you hear all my breaths and gasps unfortunately, please be merciful.
  • It is the first time I heard a recording of my voice speaking English! I was quite appalled by the strong accent but everyone has accents in this Country, right? ;-)
So, just for you cam23-ers, this is The Amazing Snipping Tool, and The Most Amazing Picture Manager, Whispered in a Deserted Library by MG:


If you want to see something a bit more professional, look for Snipping Tool on YouTube - there's plenty of videos there.
I'll just add that I loved Screencast-o-matic and I'm definitely going to use it for the library - there is a series of web pages that would benefit enormously from an explanatory video on how to use them.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job combining two Things there ;) And handy to know, I have to admit I didn't know Windows 7 had that feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie, I've been trying to reply to your comment for days but my brand new tablet doesn't seem to get to grips with my google account yet (or maybe it's just me being very clumsy), anyway, happy I introduced you to the Snipping Tool, by far my favourite Windows feature at the moment!

    ReplyDelete