Sunday 17 July 2011

CPD23 Week 5: Reflections

Not really knowing what to invent for this post, I started reflecting (!) on the meaning of the word reflection. You know, I love Latin, and every chance to talk about it doesn’t go amiss. The word is composed by re-, indicating repetition, and –flectere, which means “to bend”. Basically, reflection is the process of bending something over and over again in order for it to become flexible enough to take a different shape. It is an essential skill to apply to our actions and thoughts: taking them, twisting them in order to see where they might bring us, and then follow through.
Reflections on the Bohjini Lake, Slovenia
I heard about reflective writing for the first time when I embarked in the CILIP Chartership process. It was a slightly dreaded subject, mainly because everyone seemed to struggle a lot with it, and statements like “if your pieces are not reflective enough, your portfolio might be rejected” made it sound like a truly hard task.
When I went on to a course organised by my local CDG, I found out that reflective practice is a powerful tool to use in your life generally, and I liked the idea of putting some efforts into it. Reflective writing comes next, and here I welcomed the idea of having a way of expressing the (sometimes confused) bundle of thoughts nested in my restless brain.

Basically, I do reflect, and quite a lot, maybe too much at times. I always felt the need to find a way of expressing what I was mulling over and over, and transform it in some sort of action. It is what, as a child, I called “being an artist”. With the subsequent observation that I am not an artist, and therefore I was always frustrated in my attempts of expressing myself. [Here I can hear a wide group of friends and family members pointing out to the fact that I talk a lot, thus express myself enough… ;-)].


Everything sounds good so far, but…I’m still reflecting a lot, and not writing enough. I opened this blog in order to have a place to reflect but I must admit that I still feel a bit awkward about expressing my thoughts in such a public place. And time is an issue, although I know that if I manage to build a routine for this task, I solve the problem in one go. This is my good resolution for now.

To end this post on a positive note: I love the “What-So what-Now what” scheme. When I first heard of it, it was really enlightening, and I realised that I was already doing a lot of “so what”, but not enough “then what”. I think that some of the things I have accomplished in the last few months have been a result of my realising that I needed to step into “then what” land more confidently. It’s really worth giving it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I understand the childish "being an artist" feeling, I used to have it too :-) but now I try to learn how to put more action, because I lived my younger years with too much contemplation, and now I feel like Hamlet, I need to find more resolution and start to act. But it's good to consider what you point out, the scheme of contemplation and reaction: I like to hear for the first time about the "What-So what-Now what" scheme!

    And on a final note, loving swords and forgery I love your initial reflection, because your thoughts made realize a connection between thinking and forging. To reflect is like to patiently build an efficient tool. That is a very enlightning metaphor for me, thanks for the hint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enrico, thank you so much, I was falling behind on cpd23 but your comment made me feel like catching up. From what you say about contemplation in your younger years, I bet you too are an only child...am I right? ;-) Happy you liked the metaphore too, I always rely on Latin and ethimology (si dira' cosi'?) when I don't know what to say or how to start a post, and everything seems easier when I can make sense of the real meaning of words. Also, I didn't leave a comment but I loved your post and advice on online branding. Thanks again, MG

    ReplyDelete