Thursday 23 June 2011

Cam23 Thing 1: iGoogle

Hello Cambridge! Here I am with my first post for Cam23.

In a bit of a hurry, I have created my first iGoogle page. Why on earth nobody told me about it before? ;-) I was franctically jumping between GoogleDocs, Reader, Gmail, Calendar, etc. etc., without knowing I could have them all in one place.

In terms of gadgets, however, I haven’t found my must-haves yet. I've got the weather, the calculator, and the Cambridge Libraries widget, but I was looking for something different, and I’m not sure about the opportunity to have my Facebook feeds there. I used to have a mind which worked in fairly closed compartments, and now I have scattered my brain all over this social media stuff; although I love it and enjoy it more and more, my poor old thirty-something full-of-information object-in-the-skull is getting a bit lost. The solution will be, as ever: give it a try. Get the Facebook feeds there, and if you don’t like it, delete the feed. Will let you know how it goes!

I have created a tab for library-related things and I am in the process of populating it. I do miss the possibility of adding websites though. I have been using Tizmos so far (but it’s been quite stuck in the last two days) and I’m going to explore Netvibes, which everyone seems to be very enthusiastic about – Annie’s being the latest review I’ve read.

In terms of using all this marvellous stuff for the library, I am trapped. The website of the library I work for at the moment is hugely password-protected. No easy way to get out, folks. But I love knowing about all these possibilities, and I’m ready to get them out of my magician’s hat if the possibility arises. In the meantime, I lurk and watch what you are all doing – for example, I loved to explore the new library website for the Judge Business School, which is actually a blog on Wordpress. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment